Squirrel Terms and Conditions
This Agreement contains thirteen sections. You may jump directly to any section by selecting the appropriate link below. The headings and subheadings below are for reference only and do not limit the scope of each section.
- Our relationship with you
- The Cost of Living Service
- The Money Control Service
- Access to the app
- App security
- Changes to the App and App terms
- Term and Termination
- What you are not allowed to do
- Intellectual property rights
- Content and liability
- Contacting us
By registering for the Services, you must read, agree with and accept all of the terms and conditions contained in this Agreement. This Agreement is provided to you and concluded in English. You agree that any use by you of the Services shall constitute your acceptance of the Agreement and we recommend that you store or print-off a copy of the Agreement (including all policies) for your records. Squirrel may require you to have a Squirrel Account to use the Services outlined below.
Our relationship with you
Under our relationship with you, Squirrel Financial Wellbeing Limited ("Squirrel", "we" or "us") provides you ("you" or "your") with two services:
- The "Money Control Service": we will introduce you to and help you access an e-Wallet payment account (the "E-Wallet Account") operated by a third party (the "E-Wallet Provider"). The E-Wallet Provider will be an electronic money institution that is authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority. Any value you store in your E-Wallet Account will comprise electronic money issued by the E-Wallet Provider. Your rights and obligations arising in relation to the E-Wallet Account will be governed by the E-Wallet Provider’s terms that we will present to you on their behalf and that you agree to when you open your E-Wallet Account. We act as agent of the E-Wallet Provider in assisting it distribute electronic money to you and enabling you to access and use your E-Wallet Account. The terms of our relationship with you for this service are set out in clause 3.
The "Cost of Living Service" we will provide you with access to a remote web-based application (the "App"), which is an application that will give you access via your mobile device or desktop to:
- various financial planning and management tools designed to help you manage and monitor your income, outgoings and savings; and
- certain third party offers, deals and money saving tips designed to help you manage your personal and household expenditure more effectively.
Please see clause 2 for more information on the Cost of Living Service.
The Cost of Living Service
- Through the App we will provide you with access to:
- various third party products, for example by offering couponing or discount services that you have subscribed for and that can be operated digitally or by introducing you to other third parties that we believe might be relevant to you based on your profile;
- various financial planning and management tools designed to help you manage and monitor your income, outgoings and savings; and
- any other services or tools that we may present you with from time to time.
- We make no representations or warranties that the Cost of Living Service is fit for any particular purpose or that it will achieve any particular outcome.
- Squirrel is not liable for any third party products or services that may be presented to you on the App. You are responsible for any decisions you make in relation to these products or services.
- Squirrel may receive payment, including fees and commissions, based on your use of the third party products and services made available on the App.
- We can access financial information and associated data arising under or relating to your use of the E-Wallet Account for any purpose relating to our provision of the Cost of Living Service and / or the Money Control Service.
- The Cost of Living Service is provided by Squirrel (company number 08621129) whose registered address is at Shropshire House, 2-10 Capper Street, London, UK, WC1E 6JA. Your use of the Cost of Living Service is governed by the Squirrel Terms and Privacy and Cookies Policy.
The Money Control Service
- We select the E-Money Provider to provide the E-Wallet Account to you and we may change this selection from time to time. You agree that:
- we may terminate the appointment of the then current provider of the E-Wallet Account as our partner and require them to terminate their relationship with you in accordance with the relevant notice period; and
- With a view to ensuring the continuity of the E-Wallet Account, we may either introduce you to an alternative provider E-Wallet Account, or provide the E-Money Account ourselves where we have the necessary regulatory licences to do so. Where we introduce you to an alternative provider, you consent to us making use of your data, including providing it to the selected third party, as necessary to introduce the new service and facilitate the smooth transfer of your E-Wallet Account and enable the alternative provider to contact you for this purpose which you agree to.
- The E-Wallet Provider that we have currently selected to provide the E-Wallet Account to you is Prepaid Financial Services Ltd ("PFS"). PFS is a company registered in England (company number 6337638) whose registered office is at 4th floor, 36 Carnaby Street, London W1F 7DR, UK. PFS is an authorised electronic money institution and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (firm registration number 900036).
- In opening your E-Wallet Account with the E-Wallet Provider you will need to agree to Account Terms between the E-Wallet Provider and you (the "E-Wallet Account Terms").
- The E-Wallet Provider in accordance with and as set out in the E-Wallet Account Terms, is the person responsible for:
- issuing electronic money to you;
- operating your E-Wallet Account;
- executing your payment transactions to place, transmit or withdraw funds in respect of your E-Wallet Account; and
- meeting claims by third parties on your electronic money where they are valid and in accordance with the E-Wallet Account Terms.
- On behalf of the E-Wallet Provider and as their agent, we:
- assist the E-Wallet Provider with the distribution to you of electronic money issued by it;
- receive your instructions to the E-Wallet Provider to initiate payment orders for the placing, transmission or withdrawing of funds in respect of your E-Wallet Account;
- enable access to your E-Wallet Account through the App; and
- address requests, questions, notifications of security concerns and complaints you may have about your E-Wallet Account.
- The E-Wallet Provider and not Squirrel is responsible to you for the operation of your E-Wallet Account and any payment transactions executed through it. You should make any claim for loss arising from the operation of the E-Wallet Account or the execution of payment transactions under the terms of the E-Wallet Account with the E-Wallet Provider and we do not accept liability to you for these functions.
We accept a duty of care to you to:
- select an appropriately regulated E-Wallet Provider; and
- monitor that the selected E-Wallet Provider continues to maintain appropriate payment services and e-money licences,
provided in each case we will only be liable to you to the extent that your loss is directly attributable a breach of our duties under this clause.
- You may raise complaints regarding your E-Wallet Account with us which will be handled in accordance with complaints procedures agreed between us and the E-Wallet Provider and settled in accordance with the E-Wallet Account Terms.
- The App is only available to users who:
- are 18 years’ of age or over and resident in the UK; and
- are employed by an employer who has a contract in force with us to make the Cost of Living Service and E-Wallet Account available to its employees.
- A user meeting all the conditions set out in clause 4.1 is an "eligible user".
- By accepting these App Terms you confirm that you are an eligible user. You must notify us immediately if this is no longer the case.
- Associate costs tied to the App and Cost of Living Service will be covered directly from funds deposited into your Squirrel account or through the receipt of commissions, fees or other payments to us by introduced third parties.
- We may receive commissions, fees, charges or rebates from other third party product or service providers in connection with the E-Wallet Account or introductions made to you.
- You may be required to pay fees or charges in circumstances specified in the E-Wallet Account Terms. You should consider these carefully and understand when you may be charged a fee by the E-Wallet Provider in accordance with the E-Wallet Account Terms.
Access to the App
- Not all devices you choose to access the App will support the App and so you must make sure that you use an appropriate device to access and use it.
- It is your responsibility to ensure any device you choose to access the App meets all the necessary technical specifications to enable you to access the App and that it is compatible with the App. You are liable for any fees and costs that you incur in using your device in connection with the App, including for network usage and the fees of your relevant service provider.
- We cannot guarantee the continuous, uninterrupted or error-free operability of the App. There may be times when certain features, parts or content of the App become unavailable (whether on a scheduled or unscheduled basis) or are modified, suspended or withdrawn by us, in our sole discretion, without notice to you. Without limitation it is possible that any of these events could occur due to a lack of availability or operability for whatever reason of the E-Wallet Account for which we have no responsibility or liability. You agree that any responsibility that we or the E-Wallet Provider have in respect of the operation of the E-Wallet Account will be governed by the E-Wallet Account Terms. You further agree that we will not be liable to you or to any third party for any unavailability, modification, suspension or withdrawal of the App, or any features, parts or content of the App.
- We may require you to use personalised security details to access and use the App, such as a username, password, passcodes and PINs. You must take all reasonable steps to keep these security details secure.
- The E-Wallet Account Terms set out specific provisions regarding your responsibility for security details relating to your use of the E-Wallet Account. You must notify us as soon as possible by using our contact details published on the Squirrel website if you suspect that any of the following has occurred (each being a "Security Breach"):
- someone else knows or has access your PIN or other personalised security details;
- your PIN or other personalised security details are lost or stolen; or
- a device on which personalised security details are embedded, retained or pre-configured is lost, stolen, misappropriated or used without your authorisation.
- If you fail to notify us or the E-Wallet Account Provider of a Security Breach without undue delay, you may be liable for part of or all losses incurred in respect of an unauthorised payment transaction via your Account arising from the Security Breach. Please refer to the E-Wallet Account Terms for full details.
- You agree that we may store on our database:
- information you give us including personal details provided through the registration process or through other communications between you and us and data arising during your use of the App and the E-Wallet Account ("Personal Information"); and
- information consisting of Profile Data (being data from which you cannot be identified personally including information provided to us by you, information obtained through surveys, questionnaires, profile sheets, preferences, and other communications with you, and data arising from your online conduct and use of the App and may include personal details on you where your identity cannot be revealed from the data and the data cannot be linked to you).
- The provisions of this clause 8 are subject to the more detailed provisions of our Privacy and Cookies Policy statement, which can be viewed on our website and form part of these Terms. You consent to us using your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to meet our obligations, where applicable, to check and confirm your identity and record identifying information about you or to consult with other sources to obtain information about you, to assist in the fight against money laundering activities, fraud and the funding of terrorism;
- to provide you with the Money Control Service and the Cost of Living Service; and
- to discuss the customer profile of the App and its users with third parties with a view to those third parties conducting promotional activities through the App.
- If Squirrel has been provided to you by your employer or housing provider, you further consent to us providing anonymised and aggregated Profile Data to your employer or housing provider to enable your employer or housing provider to review the value and effectiveness of the App.
- Subject to any separate consent you provide at the point we collect your Personal Information and in accordance with our Privacy and Cookies Policy, we may allow relevant third parties to contact you whether via the App or otherwise with details of relevant products.
- We may provide information about you and your use of our App to law enforcement or government agencies in response to a verified request to comply with any legal process or as required by law or to prevent and detect fraud or to protect and defend our rights and those of our other users.
- We are committed to protecting you and any data (anonymous or otherwise) that we collect about you online. By using our App (through any device) you agree that we may place cookies on your device(s) in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Privacy and Cookies Policy, which can be accessed on our website.
- We reserve the right to make changes to our Cookies Policy. Any such changes shall appear here and become effective immediately. Your continued use of the App is taken as meaning that you agree to any such changes.
Changes to the App and App Terms
- These App Terms may be amended by us from time to time by giving at least 14 calendar days’ notice of such changes by sending you an email to your registered email address containing a link to the revised App Terms and the proposed date of entry into force. We will take your continued use of the App after this point to constitute acceptance of the revised App Terms. If you do not agree to these Terms you should not continue to use the App after this point.
- If you do not wish to accept the changes to the App Terms, you must notify us of this before the proposed date of entry into force. You have the right to terminate this contract immediately and without charge before this date.
Term and Termination
- cease to become an eligible user as defined in clause 4.2;
- engage in any fraudulent activity in respect of the Cost of Living Service or your E-Wallet Account; or
- breach any of the provisions of the Squirrel Terms,
we may: (i) suspend or terminate the Cost of Living Service on five calendar days’ notice in writing to your registered email address; and (ii) procure that the E-Wallet Provider suspends or terminates, as applicable, the E-Wallet Account Terms in accordance with the relevant provisions of the E-Wallet Account Terms.
- If we do not exercise our termination or suspension rights under clause 11.1, this should not be deemed to be a waiver by us to exercise our rights under that clause at a later date.
- You may terminate your contract with us at any time by giving us one month’s notification in writing to email@example.com. If you have received access to Squirrel through your employer or housing provider, it is your responsibility to notify your employer or housing provider that you wish to discontinue your use of the Cost of Living Service and to provide your employer or housing provider with new instructions regarding the transfer of funds.
- Notwithstanding the other provisions of clause 11, we may terminate our contract with you by giving you two months’ notice in writing to your registered email address.
What you are not allowed to do
- Except to the extent expressly set out elsewhere in the App Terms, you are not allowed to:
- republish, redistribute or re-transmit the App;
- copy or store the App other than for your use in accordance with the rest of the Squirrel Terms and as may occur incidentally in the normal course of use of your browser or mobile device;
- store the App on a server or other storage device connected to a network or create a database by systematically downloading and storing any data that is not personal to you from the App;
- remove or change any content of the App or attempt to circumvent security or interfere with the proper working of the App or any servers on which it is hosted;
- create links to the App from any other website, without our prior written consent; or
- otherwise do anything that it is not expressly permitted by the Squirrel Terms.
- You must only use the App for lawful purposes (complying with all applicable laws and regulations), in a responsible manner, and not in a way that might damage our name or reputation or that of any of our affiliates.
- All rights granted to you under the App Terms will terminate immediately in the event that you are in breach of any of them.
Intellectual property rights
- All intellectual property rights in the App (including text, graphics, software, photographs and other images, videos, sound, trademarks and logos) are owned by us or our licensors. Except as expressly set out here, nothing in these terms gives you any rights in respect of any intellectual property owned by us or our licensors and you acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights by downloading or using the App.
Content and liability
- We may change the format and content of the App from time to time. You agree that your accessing or use of the App is on an "as is" and "as available" basis and at your sole risk.
- Whilst we try to make sure that all information contained in the App (other than any user-generated content) is correct, it is not intended to amount to authority or advice on which reliance should be placed. You should check with us or the relevant information source before acting on any such information.
- We make or give no representation or warranty as to the accuracy, completeness, currency, correctness, reliability, integrity, quality, fitness for purpose or originality of any content of the App and, to the fullest extent permitted by law, all implied warranties, conditions or other terms of any kind are hereby excluded.
- We cannot and do not guarantee that the App will be free from viruses and/or other code that may have contaminating or destructive elements.
- Nothing in the App Terms shall limit or exclude our liability to you for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or for fraudulent misrepresentation or any other liability that may not, under applicable law, be limited or excluded.
- The App Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Each party irrevocably agrees that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with this agreement or its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims).
- Contacting us
Please submit any questions you have about these App Terms or any problems concerning the App by using details published in the contact section of the Squirrel website at https://squirrel.me.